Tuesday, August 10, 2004

One More Saturday Night...

Twelve weeks. Seven shows. Five towns. Approximately 1184 miles.

A brief conversation at 3 a.m. on a Saturday night outside of a Denny's restaurant in Essington, PA, got me thinking. The frequency in which I've been seeing pro wrestling shows, particularly Ring of Honor shows, isn't all that different then a Deadhead on tour with The Dead.

My epiphany came as I was sitting outside the restaurant with pro wrestlers Nigel McGuiness and Roderick Strong, when we start talking to this kid with dreadlocks - one of probably 250 in and around Denny's that night. Apparently The Dead had played in nearby Philadelphia earlier that night.

Me: "You on Tour?"
Him: "Yea. It was a great show!"
Me: "Cool. You going to Vermont in a couple weeks for the last Phish show?"
Him: "Yea. Of Course. You?"
Me: "Nah. I didn't get tickets. As soon as they announced they were breaking up, it sold out fast! My brother's coming in from British Columbia though, and I was at the Clifford Ball back in '96."
Him: "Wow. That musta been amazing! I've heard stories about it and read a ton about it. What are y'all doing here?"
Me: "Oh - they're pro wrestlers. Me and a bunch of friends go to as many of the shows we can that these guys, and a few others are on."
Him: "WOW!!! It's like you guys are On Tour too!! i've always wondered if people did that for wrestling. And baseball. I bet people go On Tour with baseball teams too!"
Me: "Yeah. I guess we are On Tour too. Kinda like baseball..."

And I chuckled to myself, thinking that this kid was right on...

3 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So they call Dead followers- DEADHEADS
What do they call Wresting fanatics?

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Tree said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Tree said...

not real sure. since the group i follow is called Ring of Honor (or RoH for short), i kinda liked RoHeads.

but then i heard someone speaking derogatively about fans of RoH, calling them RoHBots. i actually kinda like that....RoHBots...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home