Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Heroes...

Ok. i've mentioned a few wrestlers here. most notably Bruiser Brody and Dusty Rhodes. I suppose if there's a Holy Trinity of Wrestlers for me, Brody, Rhodes, and Ric Flair would comprise it.

Ric Flair embodies what it is to be a champion. Cocky. Cool. Will do whatever it takes to hold onto his championship, be it lying, cheating, or stealing. Ric Flair is money. Ric Flair is Gold.



To many people, including myself, Ric Flair is probably the greatest wrestler to have ever lived. So why do i bring him up now?

Because last week I spoke to Flair on his celly, and i felt like i'd gone back in time 25 years and was just a little kid meeting his hero and not having a clue of what to say.

I know a few wrestlers. i've hung out with them. drank beer with them. gone on cheesesteak runs to Tony Luke's in Philadelphia at 2 am with them. a couple i'd even call friends. so i don't get starstruck often.

But this was Ric Flair. No disrespect to the guys i know, but dude, Ric Flair. In fact, in talking to Roderick Strong, who i think is one of the fastest rising stars on the indy wrestling scene, he said HE'D mark out if he talked to Ric Flair on the phone. lol.



Anyway. So I talked to Ric Flair. The Convo Went kinda like this -

RF: How's it going?
Me: Um. Ok. I'm marking out pretty big right here.
RF: HAHA
Me: So. um. yea.
RF: What's up?
Me: Um. So. Um. Are you gonna be at the Legends Convention in North Carolina in November?
RF: I dunno. Not sure what work has in store for me that weekend. (even though he's in his 50s, Flair still wrestles regularly for the WWE)
Me: Um. Ok. Well. If you're there, I'll say Hi! and if you're not, I won't!

and it went downhill from there...

Still, while I might have come across as a moron, there probably aren't too many wrestling fans out there who can say they spoke to Ric Flair on the phone.

And ya know, what, it was kinda cool feeling 10 years old again, when i just cheered the good guys and booed the bad guys and didn't know any of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. I'm a mark, and I'm damned proud to be one.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home