Friday, February 11, 2005

Sidewalks of New York...

earlier today, a guy i know from the world of message boards emailed me and told me he had just moved to Manhattan from Connecticut, and and asked if i had some keys for surviving the City.

this is what i came up with:

finding cheap places to eat, if you like food. if you need suggestions, ask me.

learning where some good, reasonably clean, public restrooms are.

learning the subway.

accepting that, really, i swear, sometimes the bus is the best route.

pay attention to when the subways aren't running, as they often announce service changes weeks in advance.

being smart. wearing headphones at 3:30 in the morning while walking home in the dark does not qualify as smart.

i don't care if the sign says "walk". look both ways anyway.

carry a little cash on you, but use your atm/debit/credit card as often as possible.

buy an umbrella.

don't be afraid of queens. in fact, from murray hill, it's probably quicker to Queens than it is to the west side of manhattan.

wear shoes that are comfortable to walk in.

if you carry a bag with you, think about carrying a bottle of water with you. aside from the fact water is good for you, when i had to walk home over six miles two summers ago in the blackout, i was glad i had water with me.

don't eat out every day. bring your lunch to work sometimes, or you'll go broke.

if you use the subway every day, unlimited ride metrocards are your friend.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

money/credit card- I usually carry two things-- one credit card, one ATM card (I dn't have a debit, hate them) and under 100 in cash. I'll use cash if I can for foods and what not -in fact, I usually prefer to use cash over credit so taht you're not smacked with a heavy bill... but I never carry all my credit cards or lots of cash...

here's a tip: when it's heavy rain or snow, do not stand on the corner waitig to cross a street... you'll definitely get splashed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home